Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Cartagena



Just spent an hour blogging and when I hit the "publicar entrada" button the shit dissappeared... photos and all. So you're going to get the half-assed version this time... Colombia's waiting outside this cafe.

To all who've expressed concern, I appreciate it, but no, I haven' t been swept away by the floods or landslides that have been wreaking havoc on much of Colombia. Where I'm at there's no rain, only heat with lots of sun on top. The past few days I've been battling the heat, trying to avoid heat stroke by dips in the sea from some pretty incredible beaches. Can't say I've avoided riding in the heat of the day as I used to do during über hot stretches across India, but I've been laying down some big miles the past week and frankly, I'm a bit cooked right now from the heat and the riding. But I spent the whole of yesterday chillaxing in the cooler confines of Cartagena's Old City where narrow pastel-colored alleys and lush gardens keep the temperatures more bearable.

Super hot! Might be off to a island beach not far from here, but then again, I might just continue on my merry way northwards to Barranquilla, Santa Marta, and maybe time for the region of Guajira before a music festival in Valledupar of all Vallenata music... a music unique to Colombia thats kind of like the frontera music of Mexico, part folk, part polka, great ballads.

Lets hope this posts. Life is good! Fresh squeezed carrots and guanabana are good!

No comments: