Monday, April 24, 2006

Santa Marta/Tagonga



Yesterday I didn't get out of my cool room in Barranquilla until noon, then about 20-kilometers lost until I finally found the bridge out over the Magdellena River -- I was very near the source at El Estrecho, if you'll remember down near San Agustine -- and then made my way back in the face of more terrific winds and terrible bleakness. A stretch of over 50-km with absolutely nothing. NOTHING! Unless dried up lagoons, sand, shriveled up burned looking trees and dead stumps are something to you.

The first spot I came to with anything I stopped for a beer and some patacon, and it was there that I ended up spending the night. It was a fabulous inpromptu and the kind which make bike travel worth the while. But hey, I'm out of here for now so I'll finish up this post later. Its happy hour out there somewhere and I'm finally in a coastal village with some flair. Finally, vacation!

No comments: